Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Running Monologues.


When I started this blog I made a mental note to keep my posts generally positive / hopeful / insightful. But I can't help myself. I must rant to someone. NOW!!!

I run 4-5 x's a week. Same route for over 5 years now. It's one of the best things that ever happened to me. I see the world from a different view when I'm running. I get to rock out to my ever-changing  itunes "sweat" playlist. I get to talk to God (not aloud, obviously). I get to be chased by an occasional dog and then laugh it off later. I get to watch an early morning sun rise from behind the houses I'm passing by. It's lovely. Just lovely.

SO WHY DOES A CERTAIN SUB-SPECIES OF THE MALE GENDER HAVE TO RUIN SUCH A BLESS-ED EXPERIENCE FOR ME?

I mean, c'mon guys. Is the head hanging out the window with your tongue hanging out of your mouth necessary? Is the driving 20 miles under the speed limit as you pass me while not-so-subtlely rubbernecking necessary? Is the drive-by "hey babyyyyy" and the "whoo hooooo" and the "sexy mama" and the "you get it girl" necessary? I mean, really.

It's not like I'm running in a bikini and high-heels. More than likely I'm sporting 3-4 year old Belmont gym shorts that are 2 sizes too big with a nasty, sweaty, shoulda-thrown-it-away-last-year wife beater. No makeup. Ratty morning hair. Muddy New Balances. Then top it all off with a little mascara underneath my eyes from the night before. So WHYYYY oh WHYYYYYY am I even a candidate for such subjectification??? (is that even a word?! I don't care. I'm annoyed.) 

If I didn't think it would draw MORE attention to me, I'd wear a track jersey with the school name replaced with the words "TAKEN" or "HONK AND I'LL KEY YOUR CAR" or "FRIGID BITCH" or "HAPPILY MARRIED". Heck, I'd run in a turtleneck in July if I could physically stand it. Anything to help this situation.

But the truth of the matter is that I shouldn't have to. Men need to control themselves. So LISTEN UP BOYS....It's not my fault that God made me almost 6 feet tall and I resemble a gazelle when I'm running. Keep your dirty minds to yourself and quit undressing me with your eyes when I'm trying to burn calories and prevent osteoperosis and heart disease. I'm a happily married, self-respecting, strong woman. Until you can beat my 5K and half-marathon time, don't even THINK about honking at me!!!

***please notice the picture of me and my amazing husband who i love more than anything in the world.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

AMEN SISTER! I feel ya! I've asked my girlfriends the same question many times - because that's what happens to me when I'm out running. Thanksfully it hasn't happened since I've moved to my new place, but all the time back during my undergrad...never understood that male thinking...

Hannah said...

Yeah!

Though you hit the nail on the head on one reason that I dread running again. The ONLY reason, really. Guys are weird. And I'm super short and look absolutely nothing like a gazelle when I run. More like an Oompa Loompa. ;)

I especially love your "Frigid Bitch" shirt idea. I'd buy one!

BL in DC said...

HAHAHA I think you just spoke for every blond female runner (and probably brunettes, redheads, etc) out hitting the pavement! Except I must add that one does not even have to be running... I've found that walking to and from the train station summons this ignorance, as well.

Nicolle with two L's. said...

we should start a support group...Runners Anonymous or something....

Seth Jones said...

I ain't your baby... I ain't your good time.. I ain't your quick fix you best get in line...