Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Once Upon A Time.

(Jacob Pieplow, far right)

Dear blog. I apologize for neglecting your needs. I have been so busy lately that I have not prioritized our relationship. And as you know, relationships will die if they're not nurtured. It's not you, it's me. Can we start over? Can you ever forgive me?

Love,
nicatnitemusic

Ok, now that that's over, I'd like to break the EVER-SO-FRIGID-COLD streak of this blog by sharing something that must be shared.

A few weeks ago I visited my little brother [Cooper (8)]'s classroom. I think I was a hybrid of show & tell/special music/instructional/motivational presentation. I played some songs and spoke about music in my life. It truly is remarkable the influence that someone my age has on those children. I've often thought about this in regards to my brother. But in this case it applies to a whole classroom. I'm too old to be a kid to them. I'm too young to be a parent. I'm a "cool adult". And that window is a small one. So I love any chance that I get to use that window in a positive way. That's why I love sitting in front a classroom of kids and hopefully convincing at least one of them that working hard at something is worth it. That reaching for things you can't see or understand is worth it. That there ARE no limits in life. Not that I've achieved anything on a grand national scale by any means. But in their eyes the fact that I live in a city that has an interstate going thru the center is something. And I know how they feel. I felt that way until 2002.

Anyway, after my presentation, this adorable 3rd grade boy named Jacob Pieplow told me that he had written a song by himself last year. This boy is brave. And I admire the HECK out of him. He asked me if I would look at his song and tell him what I thought. Sure enough, after I left their school, he called his mom, had her print off the song, bring it to school, and those lyrics miraculously (and if you understood 3rd graders you'd understand why i say miraculously) made their way home in Cooper's backpack that day. Here is a boy who has the courage and true sense of self-worth to quote 'put himself out there' in ways that many adults do not. I know so many people who are afraid to write songs for fear of exposing themselves. Afraid to play the songs they write for anyone for fear of compromising their cool image. Afraid to look like a fool. Jacob has guts. But on top of that, Jacob has a gift for writing and obviously, a BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL heart, as you can see.

ONCE UPON A TIME
Jacob Pieplow
10/7/08

Have you ever sat and thought about your life?
Because I think that when you do, you should always start with
Once upon a time I did,
Once upon a time I had,
Once upon a time I thought,
Once upon a time I loved.

Because once upon a time I was
Once upon a time i cred.
Once upon a time I laughed.
And if you don't agree with me
Then you don't have a beginning
Because everything starts with once upon a time.

God made everything with once upon a time.

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Jacob, if you're out there reading this. I want you to know that you are special. And God is already using you in big ways, buddy. I am so proud to call you a fellow-writer, and am DYING to see what beauty is yet to come out of you.

Just thought the world needed to hear that.





1 comment:

Hannah said...

Thank you for sharing!