Thursday, October 2, 2008

One Good Love

Today is my parent's anniversary.

21 years.

Here I am in my pajamas, 850-miles away from them, tearing-up just thinking about their relationship. Those who know my family well, know the amazing love story / life story of my parents. For those who don't, just take my word for it. It's a true testament to God's grace and mercy. But given that I don't have 3 or 4 hours to give their story justice, I will share this instead.

I've always known my parents were great parents, even from a very early age. But it wasn't until I reached a point in life where I started to witness how directly our parents relationship affects our view of love, our belief in love,  our ability or inability to commit, our ability or inability to accept love, and on and on and on. Our parents have SERIOUS impressions on our life beyond those first 18 years, people. But one of the craziest things is that I believe our parents love shapes how--in our puny little human sized brains-- we begin to even conceptualize GOD'S LOVE FOR US. 

And this is where I get emotional thinking about Chris and LaMonna Galyon. Because of them, I've never had a hard time believing that God loved me so much that He sent His only Son. Because of them, I've never had a hard time accepting that I am beautiful. Because of them, I've never had a hard time believing that God can redeem anything. Because of them, I've never questioned wether God's love is real. Because they have always been LIVING PROOF for my brothers and I that GOD IS GOOD. I see it in the way they sacrificed for us. I see it in the way they've taken the unpopular route with us. I see it in the way they are loyal and have our backs.
And I see it in the way they let go of their own agenda's again and again and again, and trust Him. 

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that my parents are God :) (sorry mom and dad.) They are beautifully flawed and have even disappointed me throughout my childhood. Isn't that some kind of qualification of parenting too? But God has used them to give me a perspective, a conviction, a belief in love. And that is priceless and rare. 

Thank you mom and dad.
I John 4:17-When we take up permanent residence in a life of love, we live in God and God lives in us. This way, love has the run of the house, becomes at home and mature in us, so that we're free of worry on Judgement Day--our standing in the world is identical with Christ's.

1 comment:

Reed and Kelli said...

i clicked on your blog link from facebook...random, i know. BUT....i just had to comment and say AMAZING!! your perspective and TRUTH in this blog post is so wonderful and refreshing. i love the love you have for your parents- even in their beautiful imperfections. it's such a blessing to have an earthly glimpse of a heavenly love....and at the end of the day it still doesn't even compare, but somehow its enough.

you are the evidence of the incredible job they did in loving and raising you......what an awesome anniversary gift you have given them.

nice to meet you :)